Type to search

NFL Betting: Three Playoff Spots Up For Grabs in Week 17


Bettors are gearing up for the final week of the NFL’s regular season. There will be no Thursday, Saturday or Monday games — the entire league plays on Sunday. Heading into Week 17, nine of the postseason’s field of 12 have been established: New England, Houston, Kansas City, LA Chargers, New Orleans, Dallas, Chicago, LA Rams, and Seattle. In the NFC, one playoff spot has yet to be determined between Philadelphia and Minnesota. According to Football Outsiders, the Vikings (8-6-1) have the edge (73.5% playoff probability) over the Eagles (26.5%). Minnesota is currently a -4.5 home favorite vs. Chicago; the Bears are technically live for the no. 2 seed but would need the Rams to lose, as -10 favorites, to the 49ers. The Eagles (8-7) obviously need to beat the Redskins and have the Vikings lose to the Bears. Note that the Saints (-7.5 vs. Carolina) have the NFC’s top seed locked up.

As for the AFC, the top two seeds are still up in the air. Kansas City would earn the top seed with a win over Oakland. Assuming the Chief win, the Chargers would fall all the way to the fifth seed. With a win over the Jets, New England (-13.5) would be the no. 2 seed. Houston is likely to be the AFC’s third seed unless a bunch of double-digit favorites lose. The AFC North title is still up for grabs between Baltimore (71.3%) and Pittsburgh (28.7%). If the Ravens (-6) beat Cleveland, they are in. If they lose and Pittsburgh (-14.5) beats Cincinnati, the Steelers are in. The last spot in the AFC will be determined by the winner of the Indianapolis at Tennessee game. The Colts opened -2.5 but are currently -3.5 road chalk.

For those into Week 17 betting trends, double-digit favorites (there are currently five) are 29-3 SU, 18-12-2 ATS, and 13-19 O/U over the last 10 years.